Wimborne Orienteers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wimborne Orienteers

The message board of Wimborne Orienteers

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Further news on Charlie

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Vulture

Vulture

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2006-09-04

Further news on Charlie Empty
PostSubject: Further news on Charlie   Further news on Charlie EmptyThu May 03, 2007 8:59 am

Email from Ian Sayer:
Since my last update a couple of weeks ago Charlie has had a really rough time. When he was in Southampton for the Stem cell transplant they discovered that he had an infection both in his blood as well as his lungs.
However it was deemed better to go ahead with the transplant as he had already received the pre-transplant chemo. This was carried out but unfortunately the infections got worse and a week ago he was very poorly indeed. His breathing was very shallow and his oxygen levels were causing concern. Karen has been staying with him pretty well full time for the last week or more (helped by Greg and also Charlie's mum who came down for a few days). He was very delirious and they also had problems keeping a feedline in so he has not really received much in the way of nourishment for a while.
I visited briefly yesterday when I took Karen back (she had come home for the day to sort some things out) and he was drifting in and out of consciousness. Clearly he is very tired all the time but one ray of sunshine is that he had eaten some food yesterday, although not mush every little helps. They have also got a feedline back in. They are trying a different drug to try and get rid of the infection (the previous had caused him incredible pain with no result) so fingers crossed that this will work.

Clearly he is not out of the woods by a long way but there are signs that if he can get some nourishment inside him and they manage to sort this infection then he is a strong enough guy to make some real progress. So fingers and everything else crossed. His eyes did light up when I threatened to visit next week and show him the British Championships maps!
Back to top Go down
Vulture

Vulture

PostSubject: Further News on Charlie   Further news on Charlie EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 2:49 am

This is to let you know that Charlie has been in intensive care on a ventilator in Poole Hospital since Friday (18 April). He developed a blood infection, pneumonia, a very unstable blood pressure and his kidneys are giving cause for concern. He is under deep sedation.

Karen said on Sunday evening that his doctors feel he has made a little progress and are considering removing the sedation.

I am sure we all wish him well.
Back to top Go down
Vulture

Vulture

PostSubject: Update   Further news on Charlie EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 1:41 am

Hi everyone,

Charlie remains very seriously ill in intensive care.

He is no longer under sedation but is only fitfully aware and still has the support of a respirator.

The treatment he has been having for the original infection has created concerns for his kidneys & liver and he has suffered a return of the fluid collection in his abdominal cavity which was the cause of his last return to hospital.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Further news on Charlie   Further news on Charlie Empty

Back to top Go down

Further news on Charlie
Page 1 of 1